In a recent statement, Shahbaz Sharif, Pakistan’s PM, announced a relief package. This assistance is initiated for low and low-middle-income class people who are suffering from the economic impacts of poverty and the tough financial condition of the country.
He declared that the BISP Kafalat Program will be resumed to facilitate the society’s poor segments. Currently, the program targets especially women and transgender people who are suffering from inflation and have a low-income background.
Most people have already been registered with the program. And for those who haven’t, the registration process is really simple. And if you are a woman or transgender with a valid CNIC card, applying for this funding assistance won’t be an issue.
Table of Contents
Here is a complete guide regarding the BISP registration check by CNIC, along with some useful answers. So, dive right in for more.
BISP Kafaalat Programme 2023 Revamped
The Benazir Kafaalat Programme, also known as Unconditional Cash Transfers UCT or Ehsaas Kafaalat Programme was originally announced in 2008. It was initiated by the People’s Party of Pakistan and was later continued under the Pakistan Tehreek Insaf government as the Ehsaas Programme. Currently, it is resumed under PM Shahbaz Sharif with the name of BISP Kafalat Programme.
According to the authorities, the purpose of this program was to facilitate the women and families affected by economic downfall, inflation, food crisis, and poor women. Likewise, the larger objective of this program was to eradicate poverty and promote women’s empowerment, aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals.
Since it was introduced, the initiative has managed to become the largest program to give single cash to deserving Pakistani people, who are suffering from the socio-economic condition.
The total funds provided under BISP Kafalat are dedicated to around 9 million families across Pakistan. The estimated value of cash for each family ranges between 3,000 and 8500 PKR per quarter.
BISP Online Registration and Check by CNIC for Eligibility Status
If you have applied to the Benazir Income Support Programme in the past, there is no need for you to reapply. All you need to do is check whether you are still registered for the program. Likewise, if you haven’t applied to it before, you can also use the CNIC registration to check whether you are eligible for the program.
You can use the following option
But how to do it? Well, it is pretty simple and can be done by anyone, even people with no internet access, through the Ehsaas Emergency web portal. All you need to do is send your CNIC number to 8171.
After this, you will get a verification message, confirming your registration. If you are not eligible, the message will display reasons why you cannot apply for the program.
- Note: Please consider that all the queries about BISP Kafalat Program are contacted through 8171. So, if you receive any NSER National Socio-Economic Registry information or PMT score from an unknown number other than 8171, know that it is fake.
- You are not required to respond to such messages and phone calls. Never disclose your personal information unless you are sure that the official sources at BISP have contacted you. Immediately report any such incidents to PTA at 0800 55055.
BISP Kafalat Program 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criterion of this program is a little different from traditional cash and funding programs from the organization. Part of the reason is to make sure that the funds are distributed evenly to deserving families across Pakistan. Typically, the eligibility for this program is done through PMT Proxy means Test or NSER National Socio-Economic Registry.
Firstly, the PMT scale has values between 0 and 1000, each based on the welfare status of a household within Pakistan. Now, the eligibility of each household on PMT score is decided by the BISP board committee, based on the space available.
Currently, for the 2023 funding program, it was decided that a 32 PMT cut-off score will be given to deserving families. And for disabled people, the approved PMT cut-off score is 37.
Likewise, the NEST or National Socio-Economic Registry takes the applicant’s social and economic background. This includes all the necessary details, including income, health conditions, assets, education, number of people within the family, and so on. It is equally important to note that the women applying for the funding must have a valid CNIC card.
Can Transgenders Apply for the BISP Kafalat Program?
Yes, transgenders can apply for the 2023 BISP Kafalat program. Though when the program was originally initiated, it was targeted toward women belonging to low-income households across Pakistan. However, it was recently announced by the BISP board committee that the 2023 Kafalat program will be applicable to transgenders.
All they need is a valid CNIC card, authorized by NADRA, mentioning their status as transgender. Moreover, like any other applicant, it is required for them to fill in the survey in order to check whether they are eligible for the funding.
However, as far as the MPT cut-off score is concerned, the board has let it be relaxed. So, any transgender who is eligible according to the NSER score and has verified data from NADRA will be verified as a beneficiary of this funding. And eventually, they can directly start receiving cash assistance from BRCs or partner banks.
- Note: Please consider that the beneficiaries can start receiving cash assistance from a partner bank, HBL bank for Punjab, Balochistan, and Sindh, and Bank Alfalah for KP, AJK, and GB, only after a successful biometric verification from the BRCs. They can also inquire whether the bank has the BMS biometric facility available.
What if the Beneficiary of the BISP Kafalat Program is Deceased?
The good thing about the BISP Kafalat program is that it allows you to continue the financial assistance as a family member, even if the beneficiary is not alive. This is because the BISP has an in-depth Next of Kin policy.
According to this policy, the legal heirs of the deceased beneficiary can enjoy the funding under the program. They can even transfer their status to the beneficiary of the program.
But how to avail of this status?
- The process is relatively simpler than starting the registration from scratch. All you need to do is submit the necessary documents of the original beneficiary who is not alive.
- This includes the deceased CNIC, CNIC Cancellation certificate from NADRA, death certificate of the deceased from Union Council, and CNIC of all the family members.
- Once you have all the documents in one place, visit the nearest BISP BRC registration office within Tehsil.
- After they have verified the documents and reviewed your application, the officer at the desk will define the family members as beneficiaries under the BISP Next-of-Kin policy.
Hence, they can start receiving financial assistance following this step.
Process of Receiving Stipend under the BISP Kafalat Program
Once you have checked your eligibility status and it is positive, it is time to process your application further and receive the funds. If you are a female and have been declared a beneficiary for the program through a verification message from 8171, here is what you need to do.
- Print the SMS or save it on your phone.
- Visit the nearest BAFL POS, HBL Branch, or any retailer in your Tehsil.
- Make sure to take your original CNIC to verify your proof of identification.
- The person at the reception will verify the information and ask you for biometric information.
- After this, you will receive the first installment of your program.
- You can also make the second installment from the same place.
What If There is No Record of Provided CNIC: BISP Online Registration through BRCs
Now the question is, what to do if there is no record of the provided CNIC on the 8171 registry? Well, it is pretty easy. The BISP has announced a dynamic registration process through BRCs or Benazir Registration Desks. These desks are located within each Tehsil/ District across Pakistan for convenience. So, waste no more time and follow these steps to get yourself registered for BISP.
First of all, locate the nearest Benazir Registration Desk and visit there. At the reception, tell them you are here for the NSR registration process. They will ask you whether you have checked your registration status through 8171. In this case, tell them that you are not currently registered for the program.
Locate the Nearest BRC
Locating the nearest Benazir Registration Center is not as challenging as it seems. The best part of this is that you can get pretty much all the information online on your phone. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
- First of all, visit the NSER website.
- Go to the drop-down menu and choose the name of the district, based on where you are located.
- After this, you will see all the NSER survey information, highlighted in green color.
- At the bottom of the webpage, you will see the Benazir NSR Registration Centers. Click this button and you can check which is the BRC nearest to you.
- Once you click it, complete information about the Registration Center with name and address will be displayed on the screen.
Go to the Information Counter
- From the reception, you will be directed towards the queue at the information desk.
- Once you enter, they will ask you to give your CNIC number or the CNIC of any family member.
Note: Do consider that pregnant women, senior citizens, and disabled people will be given preference. So, please be patient and cooperate in case you are there.
CNIC Screening Process
- If you have already taken a survey online, inform them. In this case, they will issue you a token for Roaster Update.
- However, if you have not completed the survey they will issue you a token for New Survey.
- And if you have a previous eligibility letter through the SMS and they need a CNIC update, they will direct you to the priority center.
Note: There are no fees required for the BISP NSER survey. Hence, at any point, if someone from the office or anyone else asks you to submit a fee, report it immediately to the PTA Pakistan Telecommunication Authority at 0800 55055.
Data Registry Counter
Now the next step is to register your data.
- On this counter, they will ask you to provide personal information about your family, CNIC information, Form B of your children, and a record of any other person in your house. Make sure that the CNICs you are providing are updated to your current NADRA status. For instance, if you are married, widowed, disabled, and so on.
- Similarly, you will be asked about the social and economic information of the family. This includes everything from education to assets, income details, and health conditions.
- It is important that you are sincere and honest about the information, as the DEO officer at the desk will verify your information.
- Once the survey is complete, you will get a token. Take this token and leave the center.
Note: provide an active mobile number to the DEO, as you will be contacted in the later stages through this number. Likewise, the Token Receipt will be required the next time you visit the BRC, so keep it safe.
Finally, comes the step where you will be recorded as a beneficiary of the BISP Kafalat program.
- After you have completed the survey, the authorities at BISP will assess and verify the information you have given.
- In case you are selected, an SMS from 8171 will be received on your mobile number (registered with the BRC).
- You will also receive a verification letter regarding the Kafalat program. This is proof of your status as a beneficiary, so make sure to keep it safe.
- If it has been a long time and you have not received any information regarding the eligibility status of the BISP Kafalt program, send an SMS to 8171. You will receive an SMS, suggesting whether you have qualified for the funds. Or, you can check it from the official BISP Web Portal.
- Applicants can also visit the nearest BRC center and inquire from a relevant BISP officer regarding the eligibility status of their application.
How to Complain Regarding the BISP Kafalat Program: The Grievance Redressal Mechanism
BISP has a detailed mechanism for registration and resolution of complaints. So, if you are facing any trouble in the application process and need a timely solution for this, you can use the active Grievance Redressal Mechanism.
The good thing about this mechanism is that it is integrated with the partner banks. Hence, whether it is cash assistance, tracking, or the resolution of the registration process, you can solve everything through this portal.
To file a complaint, you can call the Islamabad toll-free number for BISP Headquarters at 0800 26477. Or, you can visit the nearest BISP Tehsil Office to lodge a complaint and follow up on its resolution.
Helpline: Contact BISP for Queries
In case you still have some queries regarding the BISP registration and application process, here are some useful contact information and links.
- Phone Number: 0800 26477, 051 9246326
- Email: [email protected]
- Official Websites: BISP Kafalat Program, NSER Survey, BISP
- Address: BISP Benazir Income Support Scheme, F Block, Pak Secretariat, Islamabad.
Let’s Summarize: BISP 8171 Online Registration Check by CNIC
First, if you have already applied for the BISP Kafalat program in your life at any time, you can directly check your registration status.
- Go to your message inbox and send your CNIC number to 8171.
- You will receive the verification message, either accepting or rejecting your beneficiary status under the BISP Kafalt program.
But, what to do if the response from the 8171 portal is negative and your CNIC is not recorded by the BISP data registry? Don’t worry, you can still register for the program by following some simple steps. So, let’s get in for more.
- First, locate the nearest Benazir Registration desk, also known as BISP Tehsil Office, around your area.
- Visit the office and go to the reception. Convey that you want to apply for the BISP Kafalat program. He/ she will ask you to fill out a household survey. This will include some basic information about your identity, employment, and socio-economic status.
- Next, he/ she will evaluate your survey and will check whether you are eligible for the program.
- Please, do consider that a female (married) with a valid CNIC card, authorized by NADRA and a police clearance will be eligible for the program beneficiary.
- Now that you are registered in the BISP data registry, you will get a verification message from 8171, testifying that you are a new beneficiary of the Kafalat program.
- Finally, you can visit the nearest POS or HBL bank within your Tehsil/ District and receive the first installment after successful biometric verification.
How can I check my Benazir Income Support Registration by SMS?
To check your eligibility for the BISP Kafalat program, send your CNIC number to 8171. After this, you will receive a confirmation message through the same number, verifying or rejecting your eligibility for the program.
Who is not eligible for the BISP Kafalat program?
For the most part, the Kafalat program was introduced for women and transgenders belonging to low-income families. Within this category, someone who is a filer or a taxpayer is not eligible for financial assistance. Similarly, government employees, their spouses, and people who own a car cannot apply for the scholarship.
What to do if you have not been included in the door-to-door BISP survey?
If you were not counted in the door-to-door BISP survey program initiated by the government, don’t worry. If you are eligible for the funding support and need to register yourself, visit your nearest BISP Tehsil Office and fill in the NSER survey. However, if you have previously applied for this program under the name of Ehsaas Kafalat program, there is no need for registration.
What is the mode of payment for BISP beneficiaries?
The mode of payment for the beneficiaries of the BISP Kafalat program is Digital Payment System. This is aligned with partner banks (Habib Bank and Bank Alfalah for different provinces, POS Point of Sales, and BRCs. Each beneficiary is directed to visit any of these places to do a biometric verification and get their enabled ATM cards.
How much monthly stipend do you get under the BISP Kafalat program?
Currently, it was announced that the BISP Kafalat program funds will be distributed among approximately 9 million families across Pakistan. The minimum and maximum stipend offered under the Kafalat program is 2000 PKR and 9000 PKR per quarter. This funding is designated on a monthly basis to help the poor and low-income families in the country.
Finally, applying to the BISP Kafalat program is easier than it seems. All you need to have is a valid CNIC, authorized by NADRA with an updated status. Send this information to the official portal number and get notified about your status.
Make sure not to disclose your data to anyone other than an official from the same number (8171). And if you haven’t registered, visit your nearest BISP Tehsil Office and fill in the NSER survey. Please note that there is no fee for the survey. In case any wrong incident happens, report it to the PTA helpline.